Today, the Foundation for Florida’s Future released the 2019 Florida Education Report Card, which grades legislators on their efforts to improve student outcomes and access to a quality education in the Sunshine State.
“Thanks to the leadership, commitment and courage of Florida’s lawmakers, more students will have the opportunity to gain the necessary skills for success in college and career, and families will have the resources to choose the best educational fit for their children.
“The work of the 2019 Florida Legislature builds upon the state’s two decade-long tradition of continually strengthening policies that promote equity, improve educational quality and expand choice for Florida students.”
Patricia Levesque, Foundation for Florida’s Future Executive Director
This year, lawmakers were graded on several education policies, including legislation to increase funding for public school students, empowering families with greater educational options, strengthening career education, and providing teachers with professional development and bonus opportunities.
Along with the Florida Education Report Card, the Foundation for Florida’s Future also announced its Honor Roll, which recognizes the legislative champions who took bold or exceptional action to pass student-centered legislation aimed at improving the lives and educational outcomes of Florida students and their families.
2019 Florida Education Report Card Honor Roll
- President Bill Galvano, R-Bradenton
- Speaker Jose Oliva, R-Hialeah
- Representative Ramon Alexander, D-Tallahassee
- Representative Vance Aloupis, R-Miami
- Senator Dennis Baxley, R-Ocala
- Senator Randolph Bracy, D-Orlando
- Senator Jeff Brandes, R-St. Petersburg
- Representative Colleen Burton, R-Lakeland
- Representative James Bush, III, D -Opa Locka
- Representative Kimberly Daniels, D-Jacksonville
- Senator Manny Diaz, Jr., R-Hialeah
- Representative Nick DiCeglie, R-Largo
- Representative Randy Fine, R-Palm Bay
- Representative Jason Fischer, R-Jacksonville
- Representative Delores Hogan Johnson, D-Fort Pierce
- Senator Travis Hutson, R-Palm Coast
- Representative Al Jacquet, D- West Palm Beach
- Representative Amber Mariano, R-Port Richey
- Senator Bill Montford, D-Tallahassee
- Representative Wengay “Newt” Newton, D-St. Petersburg
- Senator Keith Perry, R-Gainesville
- Representative Rene Plasencia, R-Titusville
- Representative Mel Ponder, R-Fort Walton Beach
- Representative Chris Sprowls, R-Clearwater
- Senator Kelli Stargel, R-Lakeland
- Representative Jennifer Sullivan, R-Eustis
- Representative Susan Valdes, D-Tampa
- Representative Jennifer Webb , D-St. Petersburg
- Representative Ardian Zika, R- Land O’Lakes
Grades are based on legislators’ voting records and demonstrations of leadership. House and Senate voting records are calculated on a ratio of favorable votes cast for student-centered policies out of the total opportunities to vote on those policies.
By grading lawmakers on a scale of A-F, just like students and schools, Florida’s Education Report Card gives the public a clear and comprehensive assessment of who is keeping the promise of a quality education in the Sunshine State.
For more information and to view all legislator grades, visit 2019 Florida Education Report Card.