The Foundation for Florida’s Future issued the following statement on the final passage of House Bill 7055 by the Florida House.
This student-centered legislation will greatly improve the lives of countless Florida families, especially those who have struggled to help their students gain a quality education in the face of significant barriers.
We commend President Joe Negron, Speaker Richard Corcoran, Senator Kathleen Passidomo, Senator Bill Galvano, Senator Kelli Stargel, Representative Manny Diaz Jr., Representative Michael Bileca and their colleagues for their unwavering commitment to the success of each and every student.
The legislation, which also passed in the Florida Senate on March 5, expands educational opportunities for Florida families, including those with students with special needs, students reading significantly below grade level and students who have been bullied or harassed.
House Bill 7055
- Creates Reading Scholarship Accounts for students in grade 3-5 who are struggling readers. The program, which is the first of its kind in the country, would give priority to students who are English Learners.
- Opens an additional funding source for the Gardiner Scholarship Program, which empowers parents of students with special needs with the resources to customize their child’s education.
- Restores equal and open access to dual enrollment courses for all Florida students. The legislation also ensures home educational students are not charged for the costs of dual enrollment instructional materials.
- Strengthens the autonomy of Florida’s public charter schools, which serve more than 280,000 students.
- Ensures that interventions for struggling readers are delivered by specially-certified teachers.
- Establishes the Hope Scholarship Program for students who have been subjected to bullying or harassment so that they can attend another public or private school.
The bill will now be sent to the Governor for action.
Solution Areas: Assessment & Accountability, College & Career Pathways, Early Literacy
Topics: Tax Credit Scholarships