The Foundation for Florida's Future works with parents, teachers and education advocates across the Sunshine State to improve the quality of education for every student.
During Florida’s 2017 Legislative Session, we will be working with parents, teachers and education advocates across the Sunshine State to promote solutions that improve the quality of education for every student.
Overview of Priorities for the 2017 Legislative Session
Standards and Assessments:
- Give teachers more time to teach, and ensure parents and teachers have access to actionable, easy-to-understand information to help their student.
- Investigate what other states are doing to increase learning gains in middle school grades.
- Help thousands of Florida’s low-income and disadvantaged students gain a quality education through proven, non-profit charter networks and reduce the number of students on charter school waiting list.
- Expand the list of qualifying medical conditions for the Gardiner Scholarship Program so that more students with special needs can participate.
- Ensure all students, including home education and private school students, are eligible to participate in virtual instruction.
- Increase the amount of the scholarship for participating students including funding for transportation to a school in another district.
College and Career Readiness:
- Create an online, research-based professional development program for VPK-Grade 3 teachers on how to teach students to read.
- Expand Florida’s partnership with the College Board to ensure students in our state’s urban communities have the resources they need to excel in advanced courses.
- Remove caps on financial awards available to K-12 educators who teach advanced courses and ensure students successfully pass course assessments.
- Ensure parents can learn the average amount of federal, state and local dollars generated toward their child’s education.